On July 19, 1850, William H. Adams, John Mercer and Philo T. Farnsworth, Mormon pioneers sent by Brigham Young, arrived at the area now known as Pleasant Grove and staked out farms in what is now the southwest corner of the city. A small community was established September 13, 1850, and Pleasant Grove was officially incorporated as a town January 18, 1855. At that time there were 623 people.
The original name of the city was Battle Creek. It was named for a battle between settlers and a renegade band of the Ute Indian tribe that took place in 1849. Settlers decided they needed a more uplifting name, so in 1851 the name was changed to Pleasant Grove after a grove of cottonwood trees located between Battle Creek and Grove Creek, near the current-day intersection of Locust Avenue and Battle Creek Drive.
During the Walker Indian War in the 1850's, citizens built a fort with walls two or three feet thick and six feet tall that occupied an area the size of sixteen city blocks. The settlers in the area at the time built homes inside the fort. While the fort no longer stands, memorial cornerstones were erected by local historians.