Lehi, the northernmost community in Utah Valley, was first settled by a small group of Mormons in the fall of 1850. Known as Sulphur Springs that first year, the community later was named Dry Creek and then Evansville. Early in 1852 local bishop David Evans presented a petition to the Utah Territorial Legislature requesting that the community be incorporated. This request was granted on 5 February 1852, making the town Utah's sixth oldest. Also approved was Bishop Evans's suggestion that the town be named Lehi. Like the Book of Mormon patriarch of the same name, the colonizers of Lehi had been uprooted on numerous occasions before finally settling in their promised land.
As of the 2000 census, the city population was 19,028. A 2005 estimate placed its population at 31,730. Lehi is one of the fastest-growing cities in the state. The center of population of Utah is located in Lehi.